Open Minds

"Don't you have an open mind about everything?" I guess I really don't have an open mind if it has to be open to everything and to tell you the truth, I think that is a very good thing.

An open mind can be a dangerous thing to waste because:
  • Do you really want an open mind about genocide?
  • Do you really want an open mind about rape?
  • Do you really want an open mind about terrorism?
  • Do you really want an open mind about evil?
I think that problem lies in the fact that many who style themselves as open-minded people aren't very "open-minded" about those who disagree with them. They want everyone to think as they do...of course it ends up looking pretty close-minded when quickly examined.

I think GK Chesterton said it best:
Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.